Omena, also known as Rastrineobola argenteais, is kenyan meal readily available in almost every kenyan market. Omena is rich in Minerals, proteins, vitamins and antioxidants.
Preparing Omena is quite simple and fast. So, today we’ll learn how to prepare mouthwatering Omena at home.
- 300 g omena
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- Some salt
- 1 Green pepper
- Cooking oil
- On a large tray, separate the Omena from the dirt then put it in a large container for washing.
- Pour some warm water in the large container to wash the omena and let it soak for 2-3 minutes.
- Using the palms of your hands, wash the Omena gently, changing the water, until the water comes out almost clean.
- Squeeze the extra water from the Omena and set it aside ready to cook.
- On medium heat, pour some cooking oil into a saucepan.
- Once the oil is heated, pour in the Omena and stir. Stir continually until the Omena has dried and turned golden brown. Remove from the heat.
- Take another sufuria, pour in some oil, and place it on the heat.
- Pour in the previously chopped onions, fry them until they turn golden brown, then add garlic and stir.
- Add the previously chopped green pepper and continue stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the Omena, stir, and cover to heat a little.
- Add tomatoes then salt and stir continuously until they are tender and crushed, here you can add some chili powder or pepper.
- Stir for 1 minute and remove from heat. Garnish it with Dhania. Your omena is now ready to serve!
You can serve it with Ugali and some green vegetables.