The best way to get the most flavor from your chicken is to marinate it. It doesn’t matter if you want it dry fried, wet fried, or with soup. Marinating it is the key to ensuring the ingredients get into the chicken, hence making it extra yummy.
Marinating chicken simply refers to covering it in a mixture of a liquid (such as oil) and various spices, seasonings, or herbs. Although this is the most popular way, you can also marinate chicken with the different spices and seasonings without using oil or any liquid.
TIP: Marinades that have salt and sugar not only gives the chicken extra flavour, but also makes it even more tender.
Let’s begin marinating our chicken.
- 400g or 500g boneless chicken (if the chicken has bones, remove them so you can remain with the chicken breasts or thighs if that’s what you prefer.
- 4 cloves of garlic (crush or grate them).
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Black pepper (get the freshly grounded one).
- 1 tablespoon of squeezed lemon
- 2 cups of yogurt (make it 3 if the chicken is 500g).
- Some fresh herbs like mint, basil, thyme, or parsley/coriander
- Cut your chicken into strips. This will make the pieces get fully cooked and so they will be more tender and juicier.
- Prepare your fresh herbs (by washing and cutting them) and then grate or crush the garlic.
- It’s time to add your squeezed lemon juice to the herbs and garlic.
- The yogurt also goes into the mixture. Toss so that all these ingredients blend well.
- Add your chicken to the mixture and make sure the chicken parts are covered with it.
- Put the chicken in the fridge for approximately an hour or two.
You now have your marinated chicken!
You can proceed to cook it however you want. Frying and grilling are two great options. If you choose to fry it, you can let the oil heat on a pan and then add the chicken and let it cook for about 4 minutes. After it turns golden brown, turn the other side and let it cook too. You can then turn on low heat and leave it for a few minutes so that the inside parts will cook properly.
If you go with the grilling option then you can use the grill pan or an outdoor grill where the chicken is exposed to direct heat. Let it cook on it for about 5 to 6 minutes then turn the other side.
In a world with all kinds of meat, I would select marinated chicken to build myself a mansion.Wairimu Kimani.