Safaricom is one of the leading telecommunication service providers in Kenya. It started as a department of the Kenya Post and Telecommunications Corporation. The company launched its operations in 1993 on a European Total Access Cellular System (EATCs) and upgraded to Global System for Mobile Communication (GSM). Safaricom became a Private Limited Company in 1997, and in 2002, it converted into a Public Company.
The company has over 20 million customers in Kenya and within East Africa who enjoy a range of services, including:
M-Pesa one of the best online options that allow you to receive and send money using your phone. It is the preferred method of making payments across Kenya and East Africa for those with and without bank accounts. With M-pesa, you can now send money to another subscriber wherever they are on the globe. This application allows you to:
- Buy airtime and data for your phone or other Safaricom subscribers
- Pay for goods and services
- Transfer money locally and international through Safaricom’s international remittance partners
- Pay bills and tax
- Access Fuliza which allows you to borrow short-term funds within a specified limit.
You can download the app from Google Play Store, allowing you to do more on M-Pesa more conveniently.
M-Shwari is a paperless banking function of M-Pesa. With M-Shwari, you can:
- Open and operate an M-Shwari account from your phone through your M–Pesa account without visiting a banking hall.
- You can move your money from your M-Pesa account into your M-Shwari account charge-free.
- The app allows you to save from as little as Ksh.1 for a fixed period, which will earn you interest.
- M-Shwari allows you to access an instant credit of an amount between Ksh.100 and Ksh.50,000 (Terms and conditions apply) through your phone at any given time.
- You can deposit money for a specific purpose or save for an emergency fund.
KCB M-Pesa Account
This is a mobile phone-based banking service offered by Safaricom in collaboration with Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) that allows you access to credit facilities. Once registered, you can access the service on your phone or over the counter in KCB branches all over the country. Unlike M-Shwari, KCB M-Pesa allows you an upper loan limit of Ksh. 1M with a repayment period of 6 months. Once your loan has been approved and deposited into your KCB account, you can quickly transfer it to your M-Pesa account.
The Sacco was formed by members of the parent company Safaricom LTD. Safaricom’s Savings & Credit Cooperative is in place to provide members with the opportunity to access loans to develop and improve their monetary and social status. The Sacco offers the following services:
The Back Office Service Activity (BOSA) is one of its kind that allows you to borrow against your non-withdrawable savings. This service comes at very competitive interest rates to the Safaricom Sacco members. These are available on short and long-term loan facilities.
BOSA allows you to:
- Save through the BOSA Savings Products that allow you to make monthly deposits against which you can get loans and guarantee loans for other people.
- Through BOSA, you can get a Faraji Home Construction loan
- Access Mortgage
- Access Land loan
- With BOSA, you are eligible for Asset Financial Loan that allows you to get specialized machinery, Boda Boda, office, and gym equipment at an affordable interest rate.
- Access an Education Loan
The Front Office Service Activity (FOSA) is also available to the Safaricom Sacco members. The facility qualifies you to access affordable and convenient savings for cash transfers withdrawing and depositing money without necessarily carrying notes and coins. With this service, all you need to do is walk into the Sacco, give instructions on what you want to do, and the payment is done. This means that if you want to pay for a vehicle, all you need to do is get in touch with your Sacco, give instructions, and they will pay for your car.
FOSA Savings Products include the following:
- Jaza Jaza Account: This enables you as a Safaricom Sacco member to save for short-term goals at a competitive interest rate. The Jaza-Jaza account allows you to access your savings twice annually.
- Holiday Account: With Safaricom’s FOSA Savings, you can now save for that holiday you have always wanted to take. Safaricom Sacco will once in a while partner with travel and tours companies to facilitate this at an affordable rate.
- Juniors’ account: It is never too early to start saving for your child. Safaricom Sacco allows its members to save for their children aged below 18 years through the Junior account.
- Savings/ Salary Account: You can opt to have your employer send your salary to your Safaricom Account once you are a member of the Safaricom Sacco.
- Corporate Account: This is an account available for chamas or people in the Small and Medium Enterprise sector. It allows members to open an account for better management of their finances.
Other services provided by Safaricom include:
- Mobile Solutions
- Internet for business and individuals
- Payment solutions
- Voice Calls which come in prepaid and post-paid prepaid packages
- Data Bundle
- Home fiber
- Value-added services such as Bonga Points and Lipa Mdogo Mdogo, among others